Les Grands Ballets Canadiens de Montréal

A fascinating double bill of contemporary dance and ballet that takes us from darkness to light and from Pergolesi to Beethoven


This stimulating double bill, by choreographers Edward Clug and the late Uwe Scholz, is a journey from darkness to light: from the mournful lament of Pergolesi's Stabat Mater to Beethoven's Seventh Symphony, which Wagner described as "the apotheosis of dance".

Program and cast

Artistic Profile


STABAT MATER


COREOGRAPHY: Edward Clug
SET AND COSTUMES DESIGN: Jordi Roig
ASSISTANT TO THE CHOREOGRAPHER: Gaj Zmavc
LIGHT ADAPTATION: Marc Parent
MUSIC: Giovanni Battista Pergolesi 'Stabat Mater'
SOLOISTS: Maude Brunet and Kimy Mc Laren
7TH SYMPHONY


COREOGRAPHY: Uwe Scholz
SET AND COSTUMES DESIGN: Uwe Scholz
ASSISTANT TO THE CHOREOGRAPHER: Roser Muñoz
ADAPTATION: Ivan Cavallari
MUSIC: Ludwig van Beethoven. Symphony No. 7 in A major, Op. 92
COSTUMES: Alexander Ekman
LIGHTING: Marc Parent
ARTISTIC DIRECTOR: Ivan Cavallari
SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA OF THE LICEU OPERA BARCELONA
CONDUCTOR: Dina Gilbert

Buy tickets
PreviousOctober 2019
Mo
Tu
We
Th
Fr
Sa
Su

Gran Teatre del Liceu

Barcelona's opera house, the Gran Teatre del Liceu, was founded on the Rambla in 1847 and has continued over the years to fulfil its role as a culture and arts centre and one of the symbols of the city.

Today it is publicly-owned (by the Government of Catalonia, Barcelona City Council, Barcelona Provincial Council and the Ministerio de Educación, Cultura y Deporte) and administered by the Fundació del Gran Teatre del Liceu which, in addition to the aforementioned bodies, incorporates the Patronage Council and the Societat del Gran Teatre del Liceu (the old society of owners).
 

Origins: From 1837 to 1847

The Liceu evolved out of the Sociedad Dramática de Aficionados (Society of theatre-lovers) set up in 1837 at the instigation of Manuel Gibert in the former convent of Montsió by members of the National Militia, an organization of armed citizens with liberal leanings.
Barcelona's economy and population were growing fast at the time and the city needed a music conservatory. This led to the conversion of the Sociedad Dramática into the Liceo Filármonico Dramático Barcelonés de S.M. la Reina Isabel II (Barcelona Dramatic and Philharmonic Lyceum of HM Queen Isabel II).  In addition to its theatrical activities, the new organization cultivated Italian-style singing and music.
 

The building on the Rambla

The original building was solemnly opened on 4 April 1847. The plans had been drawn up by Miquel Garriga i Roca, subsequently assisted by Josep Oriol Mestres. The project was funded by selling shares, which meant that many of the boxes and seats were to be privately owned. The shareholders formed the Societat del Gran Teatre del Liceu, known as the “Societat de Propietaris” (Society of Owners),  which was in sole charge of running the Gran Teatre del Liceu from 1855 onwards, after it was legally separated from the Conservatori del Gran Teatre del Liceu.
The theatre was operated by impresarios who were given a concession to stage a specific number of productions in exchange for the proceeds from the sale of tickets not reserved for the Societat itself. This system was to endure until 1980.
 

The creation of the Consortium

By the last quarter of the 20th century this management system was no longer viable. In 1980, to avert the danger of the disappearance of an institution of such worldwide cultural renown, the Generalitat  Catalonia's first government in modern times – set up a consortium, the Consorci del Gran Teatre del Liceu, which also incorporated Barcelona City Council and the Societat del Gran Teatre del Liceu. Barcelona Provincial Council joined the Consortium in 1985, followed by the Spanish Ministry of Culture in 1986. From then on the Consortium took over operation of the theatre.

Related events